Case Study: Test Automation, POS Solution Validation
- 5th Largest Food Retailer
- Physical key POS system running Windows Embedded Card swipe, insert, and tap requirements
- 3,500 test cases executed multiple times per release across different brands
CHALLENGE & TEST REQUIREMENTS
- Regular releases from vendor with high defect counts that take 3 weeks to validate. Client required a faster validation of code stability.
- Client POS system was based on older Windows embedded technology that did not easily lend itself to traditional test automation.
- Traditional automation approaches could not overcome external manual input required to swipe, tap, or insert credit cards.
SOLUTION & APPROACH
- QA Consultants initiated a ‘solution validation’ exercise and confirmed tool and approach in 2 days
- Analyzed testing environment to select appropriate software
- Modernized an older ‘mainframe’ automation approach to develop a repeatable framework
- Designed and developed a C++ Test Harness
- With a goal of 30, automated 38 test cases in 8 business days
- Employed software developers in test (SDET) to build a test harness to support non-cash
- Successfully automated end to end non-cash
- Customer acquired new knowledge of system
- 93% reduction smoke test execution time
- Redistribution of critical SME resources
- Increased collaboration and working relationship with development vendor